Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Meaning of Wife

Subtitled "A Provocative Look at Women and Marriage in the Twenty-first Century."
Nonfiction by Anne Kingston.

Meaning of Wife: A Provocative Look at Women and Marriage in the Twenty-first Century

http://www.barnesandnoble.com

I really wasn't into this one.

Maybe I didn't give it a proper chance, since it was due at the library and unrenewable. But I didn't finish the book, because it didn't seem worth the twenty-five cents a day to read the rest.

I mean, we already know women have historically gotten a raw deal in marriage, and it's recently gotten better but not better enough; there is still much inequality in marriage, blah blah blah.

I guess I get tired of books that expand and expound on problems but offer no workable solutions to them.

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in AmericaExample: Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich. (https://www.barnesandnoble.com)

That book had a cool premise. The author, an intellectual upper-class type, would crawl down into the pit with the rest of the world and try to live on minimum wage working at crap jobs. And she really stuck to this, which was interesting to read about. I mean waitressing is one thing. But Wal-Mart? MERRY MAIDS? ugh.

Still, all she "uncovered" is that the poor are continually getting screwed by society. Excuse me, Dr. Ehrenreich, but DUH. Can you give me something that can actually be done about that? Besides throwing more government money at the problem, because that is OBVIOUSLY not working so far.

So maybe I have some politcal views that make me too biased to fairly read this sort of thing.

But, in its defense, The Meaning of Wife has a REALLY cool cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment