Friday, June 1, 2018

The Last Tudor

Fiction by Philippa Gregory


Who is the "Last Tudor?" Elizabeth I was the last Tudor queen, but this story is about some of her Tudor cousins, three sisters who could have also been heirs to the throne. I had heard before of Lady Jane Grey, the oldest of these sisters whose mother was sister to King Henry VIII, but I had not realized there were two more girls in the family. Like Mary Queen of Scots, these sisters were Queen Elizabeth's rivals for the throne of England. If they were the last Tudors, Elizabeth could never let them fully out of her sight.

As she always does, Philippa Gregory makes these distant historical figures seem real to the reader, and this is a good story. However, I didn't think it was as compelling as some of her previous books, and I think she may be tiring of the Tudors; according to the book jacket this is her last novel from this time period.



No comments:

Post a Comment