Saturday, August 31, 2019

Secret Admirer

Fiction by Patricia MacDonald


Laura is a happily-married and successful children's-book author at the beginning of this story, but you know that can't last. (It's a Patricia MacDonald story! Bad stuff is bound to happen!) Then Laura's husband is murdered, and you just can't tell WHO did it! Could it even have been Laura herself?

This was an exciting thriller!

[Because I've read a lot of this author's books and I like them all, I'm going to add this extraneous paragraph: I enjoyed this story, although I'm not sure about the title. For one thing, there are about a thousand books with this same title, apparently; also, I felt like it gave away that there WAS a secret admirer in the story when it should have been a surprise for later in the book. But this is nitpicking, of course. Also there is a less-than-nice review from Publisher's Weekly that calls the writing in this book "mediocre" and says the writing "almost sinks the story." I don't agree with that; although the writing may not be as polished as some of her later books, I think it was perfectly fine here. I'd put this one in the middle of my list of her books, which is quite respectable.]

This gets a solid thumb and a half.



I also read recently by this author: No Way Home

No comments:

Post a Comment