Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Mrs. Everything

Fiction by Jennifer Weiner

https://www.barnesandnoble.com

This story of a pair of sisters, called Jo and Bethie, growing up in the fifties and sixties was like an exploration of feminist history. (I found their names suggestive, but Little Women isn’t mentioned, and there is no Amy or Meg.) Jo is attracted to other women and thinks she is unnatural, and Bethie seems quite conventional, but both girls seem destined to disappoint their traditional Jewish mother.

I’ve read many books by this author and loved them. This one I’d say I liked but did not love. The characters were great but I there was something depressing about this book. Maybe it was the feeling that after all the progress feminism has made over the past several decades, women’s lives are not that different after all. Jo and Bethie spend a lot of energy trying to NOT be their mother, but I don't think they really succeed.


I also read recently by this author: Who Do You Love

No comments:

Post a Comment