Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Lock Every Door

Fiction by Riley Sager

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/
This book was recommended to me by an online book club group I recently joined, and was touted as unputdownable. That was maybe too much hype, because it got my expectations too high.

It was good, but not great. The story begins with a girl called Jules who gets an apartment-sitting job in a fancy historic building in New York City. They're going to pay her $1000 per week to live there! Gee, does this seem too good to be true? Oh, but there are other apartment sitters there... who might be disappearing.... And why do they only employ young people with no close family members?

Yeah, this gave me a huge case of "Oh-No-I-Can't-Look"** Syndrome.

Still, it was interesting, and the ending did surprise me.

**Oh-No-I-Can't-Look Syndrome

(See also Spell or High Water by Scott Meyer)

That's when you know a main character is making a major error in judgement that's going to have huge and terrible consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment