Thursday, April 14, 2022

Dear Edward

 Fiction by Anne Napolitano

My favorite way to read a novel is to go into it blind. That is, ideally, I prefer to start reading without knowing anything about the characters or plot beforehand. However, in practice, there's no way for me to choose books to read without looking at synopses, reviews, or the like. But sometimes I have a pile of books and I don't remember anything about why I chose a particular one; that way I can get the "going in blind" experience on some of them.

All of that to say.... I didn't remember what this book was about when I started reading. It captured me immediately with some diverse character descriptions of a group of people getting on a plane. I was feeling pleasantly engaged with these nice people, and then I thought, wait. Why am I just getting little snippets about each person? What is this book about again? 

I looked at the synopsis on the back and realized it was about a plane crash. ALL OF THESE NICE FOLKS WERE GOING TO DIE. Except one, the eponymous Edward, because that's what the book was about.

Well. That was a tough one. I had to put the book aside for a minute and adjust.

I'm glad I picked it back up again though, because this was a lovely emotional story that really made me think. The little blurb on the cover about breaking your heart and putting it back together again is apt. I definitely recommend this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment