Thursday, March 28, 2024

The Guest

 Fiction by Emma Cline


This is the story of an unpleasant girl called Alex. She started out as a high-class prostitute but is on her way down, For some reason she seems to keep alienating everyone around her and has no friends. Now her ex-boyfriend (maybe ex-pimp?) is after her, because she stole drugs and money.

I really wanted to like Alex and hoped for a good outcome from her. I finished the book so I could find out what happened. But guess what? I still don't know! IT DIDN'T TELL ME what happened to her.

NOTE: I thought I had read a book by this author before, but when I looked at my records (by which I mean, this blog) I didn't see her name anywhere. After I started reading, however, I realized that I had begun and abandoned the author's previous book The Girls because the characters were so unpleasant AND the story kind of sucked. It was a big DNF. So THIS is why I've started logging my DNF's (books I did not finish because I disliked them) in my blog this year, so I can stop wasting time reading authors I don't like just because their books get raves from other people.

Image from https://www.barnesandnoble.com




No comments:

Post a Comment