Thursday, February 18, 2016

My Brilliant Friend

Fiction by Elena Ferrante.

My Brilliant Friend (Neapolitan Novels Series #1)
http://www.barnesandnoble.com

Have you ever read glowing reviews of a book and then, when you got the book in question, found yourself wondering if the reviews were even talking about the same book you were reading? When this happens, I wonder if it's just a difference of opinion, or if I'm really just not intellectual enough to appreciate the book or something.

That's what happened to me here. Despite many reviewers talking about how they "couldn't put this book down," and how it had "rich and compelling" characters, I really could not get interested in this book. I tried, but no dice.

So I'm going to admit it: I was bored by this book. I didn't like the characters, and nothing much happened to them anyways.

La amiga estupenda (Dos amigas 1) (My Brilliant Friend)
It has been translated from the Italian, so maybe that is the problem. Or maybe it's me.

I can, however, tell you that the COVER in Italian is quite superior. See?----->


(alternate cover art also from http://www.barnesandnoble.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment