Sunday, March 12, 2017

Small Great Things

Fiction by Jodi Picoult.

Small Great Things
http://www.barnesandnoble.com

I love everything by Jodi Picoult, as I've mentioned before. She makes all her characters so believable and accessible, even though they are extremely diverse.

But, as I've also mentioned before (see Leaving Time), she usually puts these characters in situations that highlight certain Big Issues, and sometimes this can be upsetting to readers. This particular book was about the Big Issue of racism, the insidious kind that still exists in our society, although we like to think it has been eradicated.

This is an uncomfortable subject for a white girl from Alabama like me, and I had some trouble reading about it. I was especially upset when I saw trouble bearing down on the main character, whom I liked a lot and hated to see stepped all over. So this book took me longer to finish than usual.

Still, it was a very good story.



I also read recently by this author: Perfect Match

No comments:

Post a Comment