Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Olive Kitteridge

Fiction by Elizabeth Strout.

Olive Kitteridge
https://www.barnesandnoble.com

This book was more of a collection of stories than a novel.  All of the stories have the one character (the epynonymous Olive) in common, but there is no story progression or overall plot.

Although the characters in the stories are wonderful and interesting, and Olive herself is surprisingly enjoyable to read about although she is not a wholly sympathetic character, I disliked the lack of an actual story. I really don't prefer short story collections, and I don't like this one masquerading as a novel and tricking me into reading it. However, for a short story collection it was really good, and I did finish reading it (mostly because I was hoping it would tie together somehow in the end, which it didn't), so all in all I'll still give it a reluctant thumbs-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment