Monday, June 29, 2020

American Dirt

Fiction by Jeanine Cummins

https://www.barnesandnoble.com

I read a lot of good things about this book before I got a hold of it. Everyone was talking about this novel. It’s even an Oprah’s book club selection, which I didn’t realize was still a thing. (Who knew Oprah still had a book club? Didn’t that disappear in like 1999?)

Anyways my point is that this book had a lot of hype to live up to, and I doubted it would be THAT good. But good news! I was wrong.

I knew the story was about immigration, and quite honestly I prepared myself to be preached to. But fortunately, it was a STORY first and foremost. 

The novel follows a Mexican woman and her son who are escaping serious trouble in Acapulco and hope to get to El Norte, which is what they call the USA. (Incidentally I think “El Norte” would have been a better title, but what do I know?)

This was a great story!


No comments:

Post a Comment