Sunday, February 7, 2021

The Hate U Give

 Fiction by Angie Thomas

I've been intending to read this book for a while; the Christmas before last I was at a "dirty Santa" gift exchange where people were talking about how good it was. I tried to take the book home --it was one of the gifts-- but someone took it from me.  When I saw the book available on audible being read by one of my favorite narrators (Bahni Turpin), I bought it right away.

The story centers on Starr, a sixteen-year-old black girl in a fictional urban area called Garden Heights. Because of the poverty and gang violence in the neighborhood, Starr's parents send her and her two brothers to a fancy prep school in the "white" part of town. As a result, Starr feels caught between black and white, trying to navigate both worlds at school and at home.

Then racial profiling and police violence come too close to Starr, and an unarmed black teenage boy she knows well is killed. Starr has to merge her two worlds and find her own voice to speak out against injustice.  

This was a really good book with great characters. It also makes you think. The audiobook narration makes the story even better.



No comments:

Post a Comment