Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Hazards of Time Travel

Fiction by Joyce Carol Oates


Adriane Strohl lives in a dystopian future where the US government has used the 9/11 terrorist attacks as an excuse to have Homeland Security control everyone's lives for their own protection. One can be accused of ambiguous crimes like "treason-speech" and "questioning of authority," and promptly be jailed, exiled, or deleted, which is somehow worse than execution.

The time travel mentioned in the title may or may not be real, and seems strangely ancillary to the plot. The story is slow and difficult. I've read a few books by this author and they are all pretty dark and cerebral, as is this one. But this was too disconnected for my taste. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it.

I also read by this author: Pursuit


No comments:

Post a Comment