Friday, May 21, 2021

The Push

 Fiction by Asheley Audrain


Blythe Connor beings the narration of this story, talking about a family she is watching through their window: two parents, a teenage girl and a young boy. Then we discover it's her ex-husband's new family, and the teenage girl is her own daughter. The narrative then goes back in time to Blythe's side of the story, speaking in the second person as if she's explaining herself to her ex-husband. Interspersed with this are glimpses of Blythe's history through the points of view of her mother and grandmother.

I almost quit reading this book in the middle when something so awful I couldn't bear it happened. After having begun with the idea that Blythe was just having trouble bonding with her daughter after birth because of some postpartum depression, lack of strong maternal history, and an unsupportive husband... it got so much worse. I'm glad I kept reading; however, the end left me with some questions.

I'd say it was a good story and a surprising one; however, it's not as fabulous as the reviews had led me to believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment