Wednesday, May 12, 2021

The Starter Wife

 Fiction by Nina Laurin


Claire is a young woman who feels she can't escape the shadow of her husband Byron's first wife Colleen, who disappeared mysteriously several years ago. Colleen is presumed dead, but her body was never found. For Claire, reminders of her predecessor are everywhere; Byron keeps Colleen's paintings up all over the house. Now someone is emailing Claire and using Colleen's name. Is Colleen still alive?

This was a great set-up but I couldn't get very interested in this story. Claire was whiny and unpleasant, and turned out to be an unreliable narrator. Things got confusing and the story dragged. I didn't really like this book.

This is the second novel I've read by this author, but I think I'm going to give the rest of her books a miss.

I also read by this author: Girl Last Seen


No comments:

Post a Comment