Sunday, January 23, 2022

American Girl

 Audible Original Fiction by Wendy Walker


This audiobook was decent in some parts and terrible in others. It does have a lot of positive reviews on audible.com, so apparently some people like it, but I did not.

Problem number one: they apparently couldn't decide if it should be performed as a traditional audiobook or as a full-cast drama. Most of the story is narrated regular-book-style from the point of view of the main character, who is supposed to be autistic but doesn't think like any real autistic person (major problem number two). Then every once in a while, randomly, there will be a scripted scene performed by the main character and one other character.  One of these is an unfortunately cringe-y love scene with a lot of heavy breathing and kissing noises (problem number three).

Add to all that a wildly unrealistic ending, and I just can't give this any thumbs-up. I only finished listening because I was on a road trip and could not escape. I'm sorry...

I also listened to recently by Audible Originals: Discordia

No comments:

Post a Comment