Friday, January 21, 2022

The Surrogate Mother

 Fiction by Freida McFadden


Abby is a career woman who longs to be a mother but can’t get pregnant on her own. Monica is her assistant at work who offers to be a surrogate mother. 

Sam is Abby’s husband… who Monica wants to steal. This last bit is pretty obvious from the beginning, which gives the reader a bad case of “Oh-No-I-Can’t-Look-Syndrome.” ** Sometimes I can get past that syndrome and still enjoy the story but when it's heavily laced with "Geez-Catch-A-Clue-Already Syndrome," **** it's just too much

This book was okay but I had a lot of trouble getting past the predictability of the Evil Monica. (Hence the strong desire for main character Abby to CATCH A CLUE already!) To be honest, I skipped about 200 pages and read the ending. 

I also read by this author: Brain Damage

**Oh-No-I-Can't-Look Syndrome

(See also The Last Thing She Ever Did by Gregg Olsen)

That's when you know a main character is making a major error in judgement that's going to have huge and terrible consequences.

****Geez-Catch-A-Clue-Already Syndrome

(I'm making this one up right now but I'm sure I'll find more examples later.)

This is when the main character's stupidity is SO obvious that you can no longer identify with/make excuses for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment