Tuesday, September 13, 2022

The Polygamist's Daughter

 Nonfiction by Anna LeBaron


This memoir is from a daughter of the fifty-plus-sibling brood of Ervil LeBaron, called the "Mormon Manson" by the press for his ruthless penchant for ordering the murders of cult rivals or defectors.

I previously read a memoir from another family member (see below). This man seems to have engendered no end of trauma in his life, and even after his death.

Although I didn't love the author's narration-- maybe she was too close to the subject matter--I did like the book. Memoir work is notoriously difficult, and I notice she was smart enough to enlist a cowriter. The story was both fascinating and shocking. 

I also read about the LeBaron family: The Sound Of Gravel by Ruth Wariner

No comments:

Post a Comment