Saturday, November 4, 2023

Black Cake

 Fiction by Charmaine Wilkerson


This novel has recently been made into a TV series. The preview for the show looked interesting, so I wanted to read it. 

The story begins with a 1965 wedding on a Caribbean island. (I think it's Jamaica, but the author never actually says so. She literally just says The Island.) The bride is missing, but her dress is found on the beach smeared with the eponymous black cake. It moves around in time from the present to various points in the past to unlock the story. 

I really liked the characters and the plot; I could see how the story would make great TV. The book, however, told the story in such a strange way. Maybe it was because I've had a lot going on recently and I had to keep putting it down and picking it back up, but it was a little hard to follow. I think the TV show will be better. Still, it was a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment