Thursday, April 11, 2024

Yellowface

 Fiction by R.F. Kuang

June and Athena are both writers and they’re sort-of friends. That is, they went to school together and have known each other for nearly ten years, going for drinks occasionally and hanging out. But they don’t appear to actually like each other.

The main problem is that Athena is successful and June is… not. Then one day June sees an opportunity to change that and she seizes it. What follows is a story that gave me a lot of secondhand embarrassment and Oh-No-I-Can’t-Look Syndrome.** 

Still, it was an interesting story and I did finish it. I can't really say I liked it...

** Oh-No-I-Can't-Look Syndrome

(See After Anna by Lisa Scottoline)

That's when you know a main character is making a major error in judgement that's going to have huge and terrible consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment