Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Long Drop

Fiction by Denise Mina.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com

This was based on a true story about "Scotland's first serial killer." I didn't realize that at first; if I had I might not have chosen to read it. It was pretty grim.

The author does a good job of humanizing and filling out the characters so the reader can understand them and their motivations. This made the story interesting to read, but in the end it was still rather a terrible story. True crime is not my favorite genre because real serial killers are not the Evil Geniuses of fiction, or even the Poor Tortured Souls they imagine themselves to be. They are just rotten grubby criminals, and boring in their own way.

Still, I'll give this book a passable thumbs-up for holding my attention.

I also read by this author: Blood Salt Water


No comments:

Post a Comment