Sunday, September 17, 2023

Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance

 Fiction by Alison Espach

This book is (kind of) written in the second person; Sally Holt is telling the the story to her sister Kathy. What I mean is, Kathy is the “you” in the title, and indeed all throughout the story. This is interesting but also a bit awkward and clunky in my opinion.

The story begins with Sally at age thirteen and Kathy at age sixteen, the time of Kathy’s “sudden disappearance.” This terminology is not quite accurate though, and that’s another one of the things I didn’t like about this book. Kathy doesn’t actually disappear.

I don’t want to put any spoilers here, so I’m not explaining what I meant by that. Still, to be honest there aren’t many surprises in the plot at all. The story was about the characters, which were believable but not always sympathetic. 

This story was okay but not great. 

Also I don't like this cover; the copy I read had a better one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment