Friday, September 15, 2023

The Marriage Portrait

 Fiction by Maggie O’Farrell


You know from the beginning of the book that Duchess Lucrezia is going to die at the age of sixteen in 1561. There’s a note that explains to the reader about her, a real historical person who was rumored to have been murdered by her husband. 

So I shouldn’t have liked this book, already knowing the main character was doomed. But I loved it! 

I cannot explain how this author brings her characters to life and makes me love them so much I long to keep reading even though I know it will never end well. I should want to throw the book across the room in despair; instead I’m in love with it. The other book (see below) I read by her was literally subtitled “a novel of the plague,” and it was wonderful! I can’t explain it.

This was a really good story!!

I also read by this author: Hamnet

No comments:

Post a Comment