Monday, November 30, 2015

The Reader

Fiction by Bernhard Schlink.

The Reader
http://www.barnesandnoble.com

Often I am wary of translated literary works, because sometimes the book loses its essence when it is translated away from its original language. This novel was originally written in German, but I did not know that when I purchased the audiobook. Now I'd like to know who the translator was, because he or she did a great job! No one is credited with the translation anywhere on the edition I downloaded or in the book's publicity listing. This is sad. I don't think translators get enough credit in general.

This book was very good. It is narrated by a boy who becomes a man over the course of the story, but at its center is Hanna Schmitz, a female character whom many would call pure evil. But of course no human being is really pure evil, are they? We are so much more complicated than that.

All in all, it's a very thought-provoking book, as well as being an interesting story.

No comments:

Post a Comment