Thursday, February 15, 2018

Every Last Lie

Fiction by Mary Kubica

Every Last Lie (Signed Book)
https://www.barnesandnoble.com

So... this thriller was not as good as the others I've read by the same author. The story, about a young woman who is trying to unravel the events leading to her husband's (accidental?) death, and including flashbacks from his point of view about those events, is interesting enough.

The only trouble is that the book suffers from a form of I-Can't-Tell-The-Truth-or-the-Story-Will-End-Here Syndrome. Usually this annoying plot device is found in romance novels (see Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes) and involves the main character withholding some vital piece of information from his/her love interest for a silly reason in order to lengthen the storyline. In the case of this book, both main characters are holding on to major secrets that would derail the plot and shorten the story, and much of their inner dialogue runs along the I-should-probably-tell-the-truth-but-I-can't-because-um-because-no-reason-I-guess. I personally find this rather irritating to read about, although you may disagree.

So, this book was okay, but not great.


I also read recently by this author: Pretty Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment