Sunday, July 11, 2021

Mummy's Little Helper

 Nonfiction by Casey Watson


Since I've been reading so many Cathy Glass books recently (see Daddy's Little Princess), my computer has started suggesting similar stories by other authors. Apparently this "British Foster Carer Stories" thing is a whole genre. So I decided to give some other authors a try.

This story reads very similarly to Cathy Glass; foster mother Casey takes in a nine-year-old called Abby who has been taking care of her mother Sarah, who suffers from MS. When Sarah is hospitalized because her disease has worsened, Abby has to go into foster care. Casey's goal is to help Abby become a child again rather than the carer she's been forced to be.

I liked this book a bit less than the ones I've read by Cathy Glass; this author seemed to be imposing too much of her own ideas of how a child "should" be raised. Casey seemed very down on Sarah and thought that Abby had been done a disservice in having to help so much. 

I felt like it was okay for Abby to be responsible and try to care for her mother, because she loved her mum and wanted to do it. Still, I realize that the situation had become untenable and Sarah needed more help that a child would give, and the story does end well.



No comments:

Post a Comment