Tuesday, October 4, 2022

The Last Policeman

 Fiction by Ben Winters


Hank Palace is a police detective in a world that has an expiration date. It's April, and everyone has known since January that an asteroid is coming in October to wipe out most of Earth and leave the rest of the planet shrouded in ashes and darkness. If it's inevitable that we are all going to die soon; what do we do now?

For Detective Palace, the answer is: I'm going to do my job. But you can guess that not many are like him. The economy is collapsing, people are killing themselves, and martial law is taking over. But Hank just wants to solve a murder....

This was a good story with real and believable characters but it was just so BLEAK. There are two more books in this series but I'm gonna pass. I can't bear living in Hank Palace's world.

(Side note: I labeled this book "futuristic fiction" but it's more accurate to say it's contemporary fiction set in a parallel fictional universe. No one's in a flying car or whatever. It's us, in the USA, but with a big What-If.)

I also read by this author: Self Help

No comments:

Post a Comment