Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Memorial

 Fiction by Bryan Washington


Mike and his boyfriend Benson live together in Houston. They really love each other, but they have been going through some troubles.  The major issue is Mike’s lack of fidelity, although Benson tries to act like he doesn’t mind. 

Then Mike hears from his mother in Japan that his father is dying. Although his parents are divorced, he knows this will upset his mother, so he invites her to come for an extended visit to the apartment he and Benson share in Houston. Then (inexplicably!) he leaves for Japan the day after she arrives, blithely expecting Benson to take care of her in his absence as he goes to see his dying father instead.

Although Mike’s mother and Benson are strangers, they begin to forge a relationship. Mike stays in Japan for months, waiting for his father to die. Occasionally he texts. Benson continues to muddle along as he always has, but it’s clear he needs to decide if he will continue to accept Mike’s casually selfish behavior or demand a change. 

This was an interesting book and I really liked some of the characters (NOT that dirtbag Mike). The story was difficult for me I guess; I really wanted good things for Benson. I wasn’t exactly happy with the ending but I guess it was realistic. I don’t know how to rate this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment