Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Queen's Gambit

 Fiction by Walter Tevis

This book was recently turned into a Netflix series with a very beautiful actress, so it has surged back into popularity even though it was published in 1983.

Beth is a young female chess prodigy growing up in the sixties and seventies. The book follows her journey from penniless orphan to chess grand master.

It's worth noting that I do not play chess (literally, I don't know how), so I didn't really understand the long descriptions of chess games. Still I felt that could enjoy the story and the characters without that element. I treated this book like a sports book: skim over the parts I don't understand and find out if the person won or lost and how they felt about it.

I really loved the characters and enjoyed the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment