Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Round House

Fiction by Louise Erdrich.

The Round House
http://www.barnesandnoble.com


This is the story of a Native American woman's brutal rape and its effect on her 13-year-old son.

It was sometimes hard to follow and I had trouble engaging with the story, but I did want to keep reading and find out the end. Since it won a National Book Award it may be too intellectual for me.

I was surprised to learn from the book about the legal red tape involved in crimes committed on reservations versus those in other areas. It makes a difference if the perpetrator is Indian or non-Indian as well. All these factors made it very difficult for the woman in the book to get justice. It was upsetting to know that this sort of racial injustice is still legally happening.

So I'll have to give this one mixed-thumbs. A good and well-written book, but I didn't enjoy reading it.


The Round House, by Louise Erdrich


On a lighter note, the above cover from b&n was much prettier than the library copy I read.>>>>

So...  kudos to the designer of the bright red cover.

(this image from http://www.nationalbook.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment