Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Lying Game

Fiction by Ruth Ware.

The Lying Game
https://www.barnesandnoble.com

At the beginning of this novel, Isa receives a text from a school friend (Kate) she hasn't heard from in fifteen years that says simply, "I need you." Since Isa has a new baby and a life in London, and Kate lives way out in some swamp in the middle of nowhere, of course she.... jumps right up and gets on the train to go see Kate. Um, wait....WHAT?! 

This is third book I've read by Ruth Ware. All of them have been mostly exciting thrillers but seem to have something missing. I think it's that I can never really like and completely believe in the characters. The plot is always exciting enough to keep me from abandoning the book when the main character gets troublesome (boring, irritating, or just plain unbelievable), but only just. The endings are surprising but somehow over-the-top and sliding towards incredulity. I finish the story going, "I think that book was pretty good...wasn't it?" because I don't really think it was all that great and can't think of a reason why not.

I realize it's easy for me to criticize and author from my lofty computer keyboard, and I feel bad about that. I'm not saying I could do any better than Ms. Ware at this, but these books are missing some indefinable quality that makes me want to read them. Feel free to disagree if you want.


I also read by this author: The Woman in Cabin 10

No comments:

Post a Comment