Monday, March 16, 2020

The Tattooist of Auschwitz

Fiction by Heather Morris

https://www.barnesandnoble.com

This book was based on the life of a Holocaust survivor who emigrated to Australia and shared his story with the author before his death. I expected to like it, and I did.

However, it didn't seem to me to be quite as deep as most novelizations of true-life stories; it felt a little like the story-teller was skimming through a summary of his experiences. I liked the characters, but I didn't feel I got to know them as much as I wanted to. I think this is because the story was really intended as a film and not a novel; in the afterward the author says that a screenplay is what she had initially wanted to write.

Still, this was a good story, and I expect it will be made into a film eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment