Friday, September 4, 2020

Run

 Fiction by Ann Patchett

https://www.barnesandnoble.com

At the beginning of this story, Bernadette Doyle dies, leaving behind her husband, three sons, and a beautiful statue of the Virgin Mary that looks amazingly like a statue of herself wearing a blue robe and golden halo. The statue is an heirloom from her family, passed from mother to daughter in an unbroken line, and none of Bernadette’s sisters like the idea of leaving it in that household of men after her death. But the boys feel that the statue is their mother herself, watching them from heaven, and in the Doyle house it stays.

This was a good character story that really made me think about the people in it. The only thing I didn't like was the title; although there is someone who runs in the book, it is not about running at all. I think I'd call it something to do with the statue that represents the boys' lost mother.

Still, this was a good book, and I will read more by this author.

I also read recently by this author: The Dutch House


No comments:

Post a Comment