Monday, April 1, 2019

Eyeshot

Fiction by Lynn Hightower.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com

I found this book when I was looking for a different book of the same title at the library. I ended up getting both books, and I'm not sorry.

Sonora Blair is a police detective in Cincinnati, and she starts working a missing persons case at the request of a husband whose wife, Julia Winchell, didn't come home after an out-of-town business conference. At first, the case looks pretty cut-and-dried: Julia, strikingly beautiful in her photo, has left behind two kids under three and a mountain of work at the small business she and the slightly mousy husband own together. It seems likely that Julia has cut out voluntarily, as Detective Blair knows so many young mothers secretly fantasize about doing, and will show back up again after she's had a little break. But the case doesn't go that way, and Julia isn't coming back.

I think this is the second book in a series; however, I didn't feel like I couldn't understand the story because I hadn't read the first book or anything. It is interesting to note that the mystery in this story was not super-mysterious; it was fairly obvious from near the beginning what had happened to Julia Winchell. Still, I wanted to keep reading and find out what happened next, and discover how Detective Blair could prove that her hunch was correct.

This was a good detective story.


No comments:

Post a Comment