Saturday, April 6, 2019

Killing Commendatore

Fiction by Haruki Murakami.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com

Translated into English, this book covers close to 700 pages; I don't know how long the original Japanese text was. IQ84, which I read several years ago, (see below) was of a similar size and was well worth the reading; it was a great story. On the strength of my memory of that book by the same author, I read this whole book (it took me almost two weeks), waiting for it to get interesting.

It didn't. Not really.

The characters were okay, but nothing much happened to them, and what did happen just didn't make any sense. It could be that the whole story took place inside the main character's head. The only things I know actually happened: At the beginning of the book, the main character's wife divorced him for no reason. At the end of the book they got back together, also for no discernible reason.

Lest you think this is a spoiler: it isn't. He actually says near the beginning of the story that they would get back together at the end.

I can't recommend this book, even though I really have enjoyed others by this author. Sorry. But I did finish it...



I also read by this author: Norwegian Wood, IQ84

1 comment:

  1. I have only read Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I gave it a 4 out of 5 star rating in my online review.

    However, I did write the following about what I didn't like about it:

    "There were two things I didn't like about Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I didn't like the abrupt ending. The reader is left wondering what the leading character of Toru Watanabe means by what he says at the end of the novel and if he remains sane or succumbs to a nervous breakdown. I also didn't like how all the women in Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami seemed crazy or flawed in some way, which made me wonder if the author doesn't like women much"

    I'd like to read another novel by Haruki Murakami, but not sure which one yet.

    ReplyDelete